Apply for Boards & Commissions
Procedure to Serve on a Board or Commission
The City of Whitewater currently has vacancies on various Boards and Commissions, and welcomes you to apply for appointment. The procedure to serve on a City Board or Commission consists of:
- Applying for the position by completing an Application to Serve on a Board or Commission (called Citizen Information Form (PDF))
- Submitting the form to the Clerk (Deadlines to apply are based on information published in the Community Invitation Form (See current notices)
- The Clerk will advise you by email that your application was received, and will confirm that she has transmitted the applications to the City Manager and Council President
- Per Ordinance, the applications are reviewed by the City Manager and the Council President. The Manager and Council President may request that you come in for an interview
- The Manager and Council President will make a recommendation to the Council, and Council will make a final appointment to the Boards and Commissions
You will be notified when the appointment will go before the Council. You are encouraged to attend that Council meeting, but you are not required to. You may be asked to provide a short presentation to the Council, providing a small amount of background information on yourself, as well as what your interest(s) on the requested board and commission seat is/are.
Specific Information per Board or Commission
For specific information as to who serves on city boards or commissions, or their contact information, please see the individual board or commission page.
Interested in Serving as a Committee Member? Apply Today!
The City of Whitewater invites community members to continue to make Whitewater an exceptional community in which to live, work and play. Board member openings/renewals available in the committees:
- Birge Fountain Committee - Oversees maintenance of Birge Fountain. Meet several times a year, normally on Wednesdays.
- Board of Zoning Appeals - Hear requests from property owners for variance to the Zoning Code. Alternate and regular positions open. Meet 4th Thursday of a month if there is a case.
- Community Development Authority - Promote economic development within the community.
- Community Involvement & Cable TV Commission - Coordinate community outreach and engagement activities. Advise on priorities, policies, and strategies-related equitable civic engagement and public participation in City decision making processes. Newly-formed committee, meets quarterly on Thursday evenings.
- Disability Rights Committee - Hear complaints filed by those believing disability rights have been compromised. Meet as needed.
- Ethics Committee - Meet to hear and make recommendation regarding local government ethics complaints. Meet as needed.
- Landmarks Commission - Oversees local Landmarks. Meet the 1st Thursday evening of each month at 6 p.m.
- Library Board - Oversees management of Irvin L. Young Memorial Library. Meets the 3rd Monday of each month.
- Parks and Recreation Board - Oversees Park and Recreation programs, Whitewater Aquatic Center and recreational opportunities within the City. Meets the 3rd Wednesday evening of each month.
- Plan and Architectural Review Commission - Review plans for development in City and hear requests for conditional use permits. Meets 2nd Monday evening of each month.
- Police and Fire Commission - Oversees hiring, termination, promotion and demotion of sworn personnel. Meets quarterly.
- Public Arts Committee - Oversees public arts projects.
- Urban Forestry Commission - Provides input relating to Urban Forestry matters and oversees Bird City USA designation. Meets monthly.
Citizen Interest Form
Interested citizens are asked to complete a Citizen Interest form (PDF). Interest forms must be returned to:
P.O. Box 178
Whitewater, WI 53190
For further information, email City Clerk Michele Smith or call at 262-473-0102.
Apply Today for the Vacant Aldermanic District 2 Council Seat
The Councilmember Seat for Aldermanic District 2 is currently vacant, and the Common Council of the City of Whitewater is seeking Applications for Appointment from individuals who reside in Aldermanic District 2, and who are willing to serve on the Common Council. Council meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month. Occasionally there are additional meetings. Each Common Council member also serves as a representative to various Boards or Commissions. The Common Council will review Applications from applicants and will consider appointment of an applicant to the position at their August 6, 2019 council meeting. The appointment will be until April 21, 2020, at which time the councilmember elected at the April 7, 2020 election will take office. For those unsure of their Aldermanic District, please contact the City Clerk at 473-0102.
An application must be submitted to City Clerk Michele Smith, P.O. Box 178, Whitewater, WI 53190 by 4:30 p.m. on July 30, 2019. The Clerk can be reached by e-mail or telephone at 262-473-0102.