When does the Common Council meet? | How can I run for the Common Council? | How do I obtain a bartender’s license? | How can I become a member of a City Board or Commission? | How do I register to vote?


When does the Common Council meet?

The Council meets on the first and third Tuesdays of every month beginning at 6:30 p.m. in Municipal Center Community Room, 312 W. Whitewater Street. In the event that an election falls on the date of a regularly scheduled Council meeting, the Council meets the following Thursday also at 6:30 p.m. at the Municipal Building.

How can I run for the Common Council?

Beginning on December 1st of each year, interested residents of the City can circulate nomination papers for positions on the Common Council for positions that expired the following April. These nomination papers and other required election forms can be obtained by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 473-0500.

How do I obtain a bartender’s license?

To obtain a Beverage Operator’s License, commonly called a “Bartender’s License”, you must first enroll in or complete a Responsible Beverage Operator’s course.

These courses are offered by the area technical schools. If you prefer, you can take an online course through one of the courses approved by Wisconsin Department of Revenue. Bring your certificate of completion to the City Clerk’s office, where you will be asked to complete an application.

Prior to license issuance, the Police Department will process a background check on the applicant. Police Department approval is required for all Bartenders’ Licenses. Licenses all expire on June 30th. License fees are $15 for a one year license and $25 for a two year license.

How can I become a member of a City Board or Commission?

The City has citizens serving on the following City Boards and Commissions:

If interested in serving on any of these municipal groups, local residents are encouraged to complete a Citizen Service Information Form that is available on the city website under City Clerk or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 473-0500. A nominations committee reviews information submitted by all citizens who wish to serve and makes recommendations for appointment to the Common Council. The Common Council makes all final citizen appointments to municipal boards and commissions.

How do I register to vote?

You may register to vote any weekday between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. in the City Clerk’s office. You must provide your Wisconsin Driver’s License Number, or, if you do not have one, the last four digits of your social security number. Please bring proof of residence (utility bill, real estate closing paperwork, etc.). You may also register to vote at the polls on election day.  Proof of residence will be required before registration can be approved.  Please call the City Clerk’s office at 473-0500 with any voter registration questions.